1.27.2007

quitting time

I just quit another job.

Another set of standard operating procedures falls to the wayside. Another group of coworkers shifts to the back of my memory. I make another vow to never work for an hourly wage again.

I just left during my shift. I left a note for the publisher explaining what I had done that day so he would know what of my assignments still had to be finished. I don't usually like to leave a business relationship in this manner, but I was feeling burned out and tired and that gut-punk-feeling in my heart was kicking. So I just said "fuck it."

Talking to someone about leaving the job or giving a notice is something you do out of respect. As a graphic designer, I don't feel like my position was given the respect it deserved. Granted, I believe whole-heartedly that as a graphic artist it is my responsibility to demand and earn that respect; but I reserve that kind of battle for long-term business relationships. No sense rocking (heh, more like cap-sizing) the boat if I intend to leave in two months anyway. I didn't feel like I got respect, so I didn't give respect. A part-time employee being stretched to full-time work on part-time hours and crap pay doesn't need to give much respect.

In a sense, I feel like explaining myself completely would involve tearing the company apart verbally. No matter what I say, their only recourse is to pick up a shit designer or production person and give them the same crap wage (or possibly even lower).

I won them over when they saw the quality of my design that I would occasionally unleash out of boredom. I'd say I was working at 20% of my potential at any given time and even at this level, I was blowing my predecessors out of the water.

The important thing is, I'm done. I have too many companies to deal with right now to worry about a part time job. The stress was both overwhelming and unnecessary.

No comments: